Author Topic: QR Codes  (Read 1056 times)

PaulMin

QR Codes
« on: January 04, 2015, 08:35:12 PM »
Is it hard to cut QR codes? I have an R32 cutter and I'm thinking of adding a QR code to the back of my van. It certainly look like it would be a bear to weed.

mark-s

Re: QR Codes
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 09:05:51 PM »
I print them.

mark-s
It takes Good Fonts to have the best design....

Dakotagrafx

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 10:07:26 PM »
ditto - I print them too
Roland SP-300i,  Graphtec CE5000-60, Corel x6 suite, Adobe X6 suite LXI VE master pro 10.5,  Hotronix Heat Press
''Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.''
Thomas Edison
http://www.cleancutblade.com/
Honesty, Integrity, Teamwork

PaulMin

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 04:46:19 AM »
Makes sense. So what would you guys charge to print me one about 6"-8" square?

chaosdivine

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 11:04:08 PM »
I don't mean to butt in and hijack your thread but this is something to ponder...simple marketing stuff.

Serious questions: How often do YOU use QR codes in your day to day travels? Everyday? Rarely? Does anyone you know use QR Codes? How about plain old URL's (you know, www.whatever.com - the old school way to find stuff on the web - with or without the www part). I bet you use that every single day, multiple times/day even, am I right?

QR Codes require some kind of an app to capture (via camera) recognize and be processed on (typically) a tablet or cell phone. Often these have to be paid apps too - so you're making expectations that 1) Your potential customers have a cellphone handy to scan your van 2) Will have a paid for QR Code capable app on their phones 3) Are able to do this while not being distracted while driving. 4) Have the capability and skill level technologically to do this...this sounds like a PITA to me!

URL's on the other hand require human memory and manual typing. But if you have a decent URL for your website, it becomes a mnemonic phrase of sorts and helps people commit to memory your business. If I'm at a red light and see your van and I'm interested in your services, I'm going to look for your URL first and foremost and if it's easy to remember, I'll make a note of it and lurk your website when I get a chance. I'm not going to have the time to get out my phone and take a photo of your QR code to hopefully be taken to your website. It's also illegal where I'm from to be on your cellphone at all while driving in a car (Distracted Driving carries a big fine and demerit points here. When I do look up your website URL, I'll judge the quality of you and your business by how tidy and modern your website is and how easy it is to get the information I'm seeking on your business...and you know what? My first impression of you will all happen in the first 20 seconds of landing on your website. If it's too cluttered or too 1990's looking, I'll leave to your competitors via a search engine like Google. That's just how business works these days...cold and heartless.

In my opinion, QR Codes are a waste of time. No one I know uses them. I have used them a few times in my life just out of curiosity. But they can be unreliable to use and can also be hijacked and taken to a malware linked web address. A human can not interpret the QR Pattern, so you have to make a leap of faith that the QR Code you're scanning will actually take you to the link it's supposed to be linking to. 

Anyhow, I'd personally skip the QR code part of your van and make the URL of your website easy to remember and larger on your van and spend the time and money making your website better. If you want to, put a phrase on your van that gives them 10% off by mentioning the word "blah blah blah". Then track how many of your customers use that phrase to get a discount. You can easily change out a different vinyl phrase per month and see just how useful your van advertising is to your business.

Anyhow, that's enough for now...it doesn't hurt to have your QR code there, but I just think you should exploit what you already have in a better fashion.

This is all my not asked for $0.02 worth of course...what do you think?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:56:41 AM by chaosdivine »

6aeten

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 11:14:16 PM »
Good stuff Chaos

PippinPhotography

• pippindecals.com
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 12:19:54 PM »
If its large enough that would be easy to weed out lol.
Titan 2 24"-using SCALPS4PRO for design and cutting  - Ai cs6 and CC now . Vector magic for tracing and vectorizing images( love it )