Author Topic: Well, I took a plunge  (Read 4342 times)

Thors_Foundry

Well, I took a plunge
« on: January 07, 2011, 07:39:56 AM »
Some of you may know I had bought a new Acer Aspire laptop that  worked fine for a few months, then all of a sudden I started having major problems with the drivers for the Intel HD Graphics.  It got so bad it would just lock up.  I was on and off with tech support for days, and finally, after doing a total re-install of Win7 64, it crashed while on the phone!  I was then instructed to send the thing down to Texas for repair.

It sat in a box on my shelf for months.  I guess I was more pissed than anything, that even though my brand new computer had good hdwe in it, that the software manufacturer wasn't ready, with drivers that weren't updated since Win XP!  No newer drivers exist.

I had tallked to a friend of mine who is just starting to get into Linux.  I said, let's give Linux a try on my machine, for the hell of it.  I had already "written this laptop off" as I hadn't used it in like 4 months, so I wasn't missing anything if it didn't work at all.

My friend, Josh installed two diff versions of Linux on it, (Ubuntu and Mint) and just to make sure about Microsoft, bought a NEW copy of Win7 Professional to dual boot.
The brand new Microsoft install didn't help, either.  It would hang on boot..but the Linux boot (either one) worked flawlessly.

So, I said, "Josh...Piss on it.  Dump Microsoft totally, and let's have a machine run Linux 100%"!  Now that he did, neither he nor I can get the thing to crash.  I haven't done anything major with it yet, as I'm just test driving it so far, but I've read that one can do a lot of stuff with it.  I don't plan on using it as my main machine.. maybe just a play toy.. but I now have a brand new laptop with 17" widescreen monitor, numpad, 3 Gig RAM and 500 Gb (almost) of room; on a hardcore Linux machine.

Wish me luck.. ;D

mountaingraphic

Re: Well, I took a plunge
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 07:44:40 AM »
Good Luck! You will grow to love Linux as its stable as hell, and can handle any thing you throw at it..Even cut from the damn thing..haha congrats
OS: Windows 7 Design Software: Flexi 8.1 Pro Cutter: 24" Creation Pcut Heat Press: 15x15 Sunie..and a whole list of things I want

Thors_Foundry

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 07:59:20 AM »
well, I've read you can cut from it.. but then again - I don't have a Graphtec..  I dunno if people that still use LP24's matter to them (the Linux people)

heard nothing but good about Linux, actually.  the anger at buying a new laptop that doesn't work was enough of a kick in the ass to go with it full on..

I'll say it the way a friend of mine in the casting community used to say all the time:  "meh"

locknload1

• SoCal Sign Guy
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 12:12:09 PM »
I love Linux!
How Old Is Your Church?
http://www.ewtn.com/faith/teachings/churb4.htm

“Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves.” Confucius

MrMcStewey

• Impressions By You (Under Construction)
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 01:07:56 PM »
I would love to make the jump but I already have 3 - 4 new things I have to learn and master. I have heard that Linux is the way to go and once you go down that road, there is no going back.

Problem being, i don't want to have to purchase all new software that is Linux based! More cash outlay!

USCutter LP Contour 24, 15 x 15 Heat Press, Windmere Coffee Maker

mountaingraphic

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 03:02:08 PM »
I would love to make the jump but I already have 3 - 4 new things I have to learn and master. I have heard that Linux is the way to go and once you go down that road, there is no going back.

Problem being, i don't want to have to purchase all new software that is Linux based! More cash outlay!

You can run a windows emulator on linux which should allow you to run all your windows programs I believe..Been awhile since I have played with it
OS: Windows 7 Design Software: Flexi 8.1 Pro Cutter: 24" Creation Pcut Heat Press: 15x15 Sunie..and a whole list of things I want

Thors_Foundry

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 06:49:06 PM »
isn't that more or less what Mint does?  Thats the way I understood it???

tinaski

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 09:00:16 AM »
no mint is a distro of Linux http://www.linuxmint.com/

there is a few emulators that he his talking about --

first the most common is WINE - it is the repositories to install that open terminal sudo apt-get install wine1.3 or you can download it thru Ubuntu applications
http://www.winehq.org/download/deb
wine doesn't install windows - it just makes most software apts think that there is a windows OS on the system - but it doesn't work if the software is looking for windows  file or program - that would infringe on copyright laws if Linux added them to wine.

i have not found any windows based  cutting software that works in wine i have tried most of them

but you can try the software we use it should work for most things that isnt china made - they use a usb to serial driver that i cant find for linux - i dont remember what it is off hand but that is where we ran into alot of problems - but there is also a plugin for inkscape that you can cut direct from inkscape

but we havent been able to get the optic eye to work yet - for contour cutting - were still working on that

then there is programs that will allow you to install a full windows OS and you will run both Linux and windows at the same time. its very good but if you have a older slow PC it will bog it down some.

here is one http://www.vmware.com/

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:12:12 PM by tinaski »
3 computers all linux *inkscape linux *sk1 linux *gimp linux *Xara linux *Adobe running under WINE *Coral Draw running under WINE *2-Graphtec CE5000 Series all software uses TUX PLOT to cut directly in LINUX <br />Linux, MS-DOS, and Windows NT also known as the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

stickermonster

• stickermonster
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 07:23:44 PM »
good luck, but i don't think you will need it. i just did the same thing to my first gen duel core that was running xp. the audio never worked right even when it was new. now it works perfectly and the cooling fan does not run as much.  049.gif

bb

Some of you may know I had bought a new Acer Aspire laptop that  worked fine for a few months, then all of a sudden I started having major problems with the drivers for the Intel HD Graphics.  It got so bad it would just lock up.  I was on and off with tech support for days, and finally, after doing a total re-install of Win7 64, it crashed while on the phone!  I was then instructed to send the thing down to Texas for repair.

It sat in a box on my shelf for months.  I guess I was more pissed than anything, that even though my brand new computer had good hdwe in it, that the software manufacturer wasn't ready, with drivers that weren't updated since Win XP!  No newer drivers exist.

I had tallked to a friend of mine who is just starting to get into Linux.  I said, let's give Linux a try on my machine, for the hell of it.  I had already "written this laptop off" as I hadn't used it in like 4 months, so I wasn't missing anything if it didn't work at all.

My friend, Josh installed two diff versions of Linux on it, (Ubuntu and Mint) and just to make sure about Microsoft, bought a NEW copy of Win7 Professional to dual boot.
The brand new Microsoft install didn't help, either.  It would hang on boot..but the Linux boot (either one) worked flawlessly.

So, I said, "Josh...Piss on it.  Dump Microsoft totally, and let's have a machine run Linux 100%"!  Now that he did, neither he nor I can get the thing to crash.  I haven't done anything major with it yet, as I'm just test driving it so far, but I've read that one can do a lot of stuff with it.  I don't plan on using it as my main machine.. maybe just a play toy.. but I now have a brand new laptop with 17" widescreen monitor, numpad, 3 Gig RAM and 500 Gb (almost) of room; on a hardcore Linux machine.

Wish me luck.. ;D

Keepin' it real!

offering large format solvent printing with a roland vs-540. printing CMYKlClm with white and silver inks

www.stickermonster.net

[url=http://

jonmessenger

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 08:08:37 PM »
Just to let everyone know, I am running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, and have successfully installed Sure Cuts Alot Pro. 3.8 with Wine and was able to get everything working.  I have to set the plotter up as "Generic", "Raw" and use Serial, but then you can assign the printer to the program and it works.  It has to be the latest 3.** version or higher, my original did not have the "printer" option