Author Topic: Given some old machines  (Read 329 times)

Bean

Given some old machines
« on: October 29, 2017, 03:07:45 PM »
OK so here's the deal. About 5 years ago, I bought a US CUTTER 30". I have used it with moderate success from an amateurs standpoint with SCAL standard. My thought has always been, you get what you pay for. I bought a $300 machine and use the free boxed software. I have always gasped at the cost for even "decent" software not to mention "good" programs. Corel, AI, Flexi etc have always alluded my bank account. That being said, a family friend gave me some old machines that I suspect even in their old age, are better quality than my much newer rig. The guy gave me a graphtech 4100-75 and a summagraphics T750, about 30 rolls of old vinyl (I am expecting.the vinyl to be too old to use) a huge vector program that even today sells for around $100, and an old version of sign lab (version 4.95 I think). Like I said old stuff! I am thinking optimisticly about all of this but the signlab is old enough to be on 3.5 floppys. I borrowed a floppy USB drive from a friend but my windows 10 doesnt support the driver for the floppy drive. My questions are :

1) is the equipment worth my time to try to ressurect?
2) is there a place or user with an obsolete copy of some half decent software that is newer than mine but won't break my bank accout too bad?
3) is there a way to download a driver for an iomega floppy drive since they got bought out by lenovo?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 03:11:53 PM by Bean »

mark-s

Re: Given some old machines
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 06:08:06 PM »
sell everything and go sell newspapers.
need to invest some money and time into this line of work.

mark-s
It takes Good Fonts to have the best design....

Bean

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 09:41:18 AM »
Mark-s thanks for the frank response. I don't have a need to sell newspapers as I have an extremely fulfilling 9-5.  Like my original post said, I have had moderate success from an amateurs standpoint. If I were looking to go into buisNess full time I would come off the dough and get the biggest and best but as Im not going to invest that kind of money in a hobby. I don't view myself as a professional nor do I expect totally professional results. I have more time than money and have always been eager to do more with less.

PippinPhotography

• pippindecals.com
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 02:35:52 PM »
where are you located bud.
Titan 2 24"-using SCALPS4PRO for design and cutting  - Ai cs6 and CC now . Vector magic for tracing and vectorizing images( love it )

mfatty500

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 08:26:29 PM »
What does it matter where he lives? May I ask?

PippinPhotography

• pippindecals.com
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 11:45:24 AM »
Worried are we Mfatty?  The reason i ask is because we could provide him /Her with some local support in his area geeze.
Titan 2 24"-using SCALPS4PRO for design and cutting  - Ai cs6 and CC now . Vector magic for tracing and vectorizing images( love it )

Bean

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 01:13:34 PM »
I live in coastal North Carolina, USA

Bean

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 01:17:01 PM »
In attempt to copy the 3.5s to a USB drive, all files were copied except the last file on disk 7. I took it to a friend who works at an IT services store and he says the disk is corrupted and unreadable. I keep getting a cyclical error when trying to copy the files. I have the dongle and security key for the original program so If I could find a download of the program files I should be in business.

PippinPhotography

• pippindecals.com
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 01:33:05 AM »
have you checked out scalps4pro. I love this software more than any otheri have tried out including Vinyl master( YUCK)  Go try the scalps4pro demo at craftedge.com and download. sure Cuts Alot 4 Pro http://www.craftedge.com/products/products.html..    Get back to mw on this if you need help or questions or how it works. Its what i use for my titan 2. Send me a Pm if needed.

Here is most of the cutters it works with and more..    http://www.craftedge.com/products/products_scalpro.html        just scroll down for uscutter machines.