Author Topic: Legacy Hardware/Legacy Driver Graphtec FC 4100-75  (Read 51 times)

Bean

Legacy Hardware/Legacy Driver Graphtec FC 4100-75
« on: December 03, 2017, 06:26:35 PM »
Ok, so if any of you wise and learned sages have read any of my posts, you will see that I am attempting yo resurrect a Graphtec FC4100-75. I got some good software and went through the driver install for my machine. when I try to send it to the plotter, I get various error messages ranging from missing .ini file to port not available. I have a USB "A" to USB "B" from the PC to the cutter. Also, my laptop has a 9-pin RS-232 male along with several USB A jacks. The Cutter has the USB port along with a 26-pin serial cable and centronics parallel 36-pin. I am attempting to use the USB "A" to USB "B" to run it. I have some cables but not in the right male/female configuration to use the serial or the parallel ports. I am fairly certain that this is a simple logistical issue of getting the PC to communicate with the cutter. My issue is narrowing down and following a definitive trouble shoot protocol. I checked the device manager and I'm not totally sure what if anything changes if I plug in or unplug the USB. Therefore, I am not sure if the way the PC recognizes the cutter is in error. I do however get the ding that something has been plugged in. I contacted Graphtec and they told me that they do not support the FC4100 series any longer but that's odd seeing as they support the FC3000 and other legacy models. I have seen on other threads and forums that the same driver is used for the 4100 and the 4200 as well as other models. If so, can I force a driver install or update, or overwrite the drive it is trying to use. Lastly, could this be an issue of the ports, comms and jacks not being assigned to communicate as desired? How would I verify and or change these configurations if needed?

The machine powers up beautifully, navigates flawlessly and cuts the test functions perfectly. This is extremely puzzling in light of not getting the two machines to play nicely with each other. There is a thread from back in 2016 that begins to go in the direction of my issue but it hasn't been resolved on the board and is old enough for me to hijack.

As I have said before, I am certain that this older machine will still walk the dog on my newer second rate one. Thanks in advance for the help from the most Wise and Holy Vinyl Council.

~Ben