Author Topic: Too Stinkin Cool!  (Read 4473 times)

Openco

Too Stinkin Cool!
« on: February 12, 2012, 03:32:21 PM »
I just had a major CRASH!  I'm sure this was related to the other hiccup I mentioned in another MAC thread, and could mean that I will soon need a new hard drive.  MY disk, today, could neither be verified nor repaired.  The last ditch suggestion/effort given by the little genie that lives inside my MAC was to back up everything I could, format, reinstall.  Well, I have a separate external drive set up for "time machine" so I thought, "well, it should already have most of my stuff."  Once the entire computer was reformatted and the OS installed, it asked for any time machine back ups, I clicked, it loaded - POW!  I mean,all applications, all email, all photos, even down to the clutter on my desk top - IS ALL THERE.  It is as though the machine were never corrupted!  I know this ability is available for all OS (Windows, MAC, Linux), but I have never needed this before.  I was prepared to lose everything.

I STRONGLY suggest, if you like the files you own, to get a back-up system implemented with your computer.  I still have ALL of my graphics files because my computer was prepared.  Mine was cheap, a little external drive.  It wasn't even MAC compatible before I re-formatted it, but it just saved my junk!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 03:33:53 PM by Openco »
MAC, GRAPHTEC CE5000-60, USC 15X15 auto heat press, Graptec Graphic Studio with Cutmaster plug in ,Auto sketch, Ink scape, Sign Cut-PRO w/dongle, Epson workforce 1100.

Dakotagrafx

• Global Moderator
Re: Too Stinkin Cool!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 04:39:58 PM »
back ups ae a must - we tend to get complacent though until we are reminded of a failure - glad you got everything back!
Roland SP-300i,  Graphtec CE5000-60, Corel x6 suite, Adobe X6 suite LXI VE master pro 10.5,  Hotronix Heat Press
''Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.''
Thomas Edison
http://www.cleancutblade.com/
Honesty, Integrity, Teamwork

JoeBlow

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 07:57:59 PM »
Just been through the same thing, a motherboard failure,the USB ports all failed and Windows and it's boot sector became corrupt. I had no problems with losing data but a total rebuild and the long process of re-installing all the software.   
A woman has the last word in any argument...
Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument...

Openco

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 06:34:21 PM »
It turns out the crash I had a few weeks ago was the precursor to the failure of the hard drive.  It doesn't matter what brand of computer you have, they are all essentially the same drive.  Again, the cool thing is that all of my information is backed up, so once I get my I-Mac back, I can simply plug and play.  This issue is totally covered by warranty, so there will be no charge.  So, "shout out" to my local Mac store for excellent service.  At first the tech thought it was a corrupt file, so I am actually REALLY glad it was the drive and not the info on the drive.  That would have really stunk if I had to inspect each file separately.

:cheers:
MAC, GRAPHTEC CE5000-60, USC 15X15 auto heat press, Graptec Graphic Studio with Cutmaster plug in ,Auto sketch, Ink scape, Sign Cut-PRO w/dongle, Epson workforce 1100.

kenya

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 06:15:27 AM »
I back up everything every two weeks to an external. If I'm real busy, I do it weekly.
Along with all my files, photos & important emails.... I make sure that finished jobs are backed up as well. I had problems one time & a return customer wanted more banners..... it sure saved me alot of time.  ;)

Glad it all worked out for you openco.  :thumbsup:
Graphtec CE5000-60, 16x20 Mighty Press, Mighty Hat Press, Ricoh GX e3300N with Gel Ink, Geo Knight DK3 Mug Press, Windows 7, Flexi, Inkscape, Corel X4

Signguydon

• Facebook fan page
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 12:33:10 PM »
I save all my working files on a external drive 500 gb. When the tarabight drives became available of less then $300 I got 2 of them . I now save each working file to the 500gb external at the end of each day I copy all the files to the #1 tarabight drive at the end of the week I copy all the files from the # 1 tb to the #2 tarabight drive.
The only drive that I remove files from is the 500gb drive at the beginning of each week I deleat all working files from it I also use a version system for file keeping. Ie every file names ends with v1_1 every time I resave I tick up the last number ie v1_2 v1_3 etc if I make a major change I tick up the front number. Yes this makes for lots of files but a tarabight is going to last for ever at the rate I make files. I make about 30 new files a day 4 days a week. I do the 500gb and the drive 1tb connected at all times and only plug in the #2tb for the end of week copy. I don't use any back up soft wear I just copy files. This gives me 2 external drives with all my working files. NOTE don't copy your software if your computer crashes and can't be repaired get a new one install your software and wala you are up and running again. I have verified that my wife's laptop could hold the most critical software I use and if crap hit the fan in the Friday I could use the wife's computer to finish the work and deal with getting a computer the next week. I started this system about 3 years ago and love it.

alk742

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 08:28:42 PM »
At work we have it to where at certain intervals our whole server is backed up to external backups in case of a failure of the main server and it has come in handy more than once.